ELDOA Postural Exercises
What is ELDOA?
ELDOA is a french acronym which when translated to English stands for Longitudinal Osteo-articular De-coaptation Stretches.
They are specific postural exercises that are done for a minimal amount of time, completely non invasive thus giving the patient the ability to self-normalize painful joints.
We know that sitting down for long periods of time allows gravity to place compressive forces against our spines. An ELDOA has the benefit of creating more space between the vertebrae, and thus more space for the intervertebral disc.
As the ELDOA creates more space, it depresses the nerve between the vertebrae. It reduces the pressure on the intervertebral discs, which ultimately reduces pain.
Furthermore, an ELDOA will rehydrate the discs, improve blood flow, improve proprioception of the vertebral joint segment and strengthen the muscles around your spine that improves your posture.
Sounds great, right!
Think about more blood flow, think about more space for the nerves to flow....
Our spine is not meant to be weight bearing, it's number one role is to protect the nerves that travel down the spinal cord. So if we increase the space, we allow nerves to flow more fluidly and thus they can innervate our organs leading to better functioning organs.
Clients who have practiced ELDOA's have remarked such results as less headaches, better digestion, better hormonal balance.
The Goals of The ELDOA method
- To create more space between the vertebrae
- To create more space for the intervertebral disc
- To depress the nerve between the vertebrae
- To improve proprioception of the vertebral joint segment.
- To improve proprioception of the Functional Spinal Unit (FSU)
- To hydrate the intervertebral disc.
- To move all the parts of the annulus fibrosis to stimulate the water intake.
- Neuro-hormonal balance: better clarity, improved sleep.
- Improves Posture: less neck and back pain.
- Organ and Gland health: better digestion, less headaches.
- Impact on the limbic and emotional system: improved sense of peace.
- Normalization of muscle tone: get rid of chronically tired neck and shoulder muscles.
Who Developed ELDOA?
ELDOA is a method that comes under the work of world renowned French Osteopath Guy Voyer, MD, DO, PhD. Throughout his career and years of learning at many osteopathic schools around the world - see biography Dr Voyer put the best of his techniques together in an umbrella of work devoted to non surgical solutions for back pain. It's a tool using exercise to target the 'cause' of back pain rather than surgery or painkillers.
"The ELDOA puts the myofascial chains into tension around the point of a primary lesion, the center of decoaptation. This myofascial solicitation engenders a postural normalization." Guy Voyer
How Can I Experience An Eldoa?
All clients learn how to do the basic ELDOA's as part of their private program. As the program progresses, ELDOA's become more specific however, ELDOA's are recommended to be done every day.
I also hold group classes (for Lakewood Ranch Country Club Members):
Monday 7.45 am - Movement & Mobility for Tennis & Golfers
Wednesday 8.30 am - Conditioning for Tennis & Golfers
Wednesday 11.30 am - Fusion Yoga
I'm not a member of LWR Athletic Club, how can I learn to do ELDOA?
Please contact me as I hold private ELDOA sessions at my home studio.